11/11/17

20-40-60


  On last September 2, I published a post on my French blog, starting with the first image of  Jean-Pierre Melville 's movie, Le Samouraï (1967), in which is inlaid a legend  : "Saturday April 4, 6 hours PM".

  I recently learnt this, and it made me think of another movie starting on an Apr 4, Michael Bradford's 1984 (1984). More than that, the scene was shot on April 4, 1984, and the director tried to respect the time schedule of Orwell's novel, as far as possible.
  This image appears after 10' of the movie, which begins with the Two Minutes Hate sequence. Then Winston Smith comes back home, and takes his carefully hidden diary, in which he writes the date.

  Melville's Le Samouraï issued in 1967, but he wrote the script some years ago. I wondered which year could fit with a Saturday April 4, and the first year before 1967 is 1964.
  As I feel quite concerned about what happened on 4/4/44, I noticed these two April 4, 20 and 40 years later, with another interesting circumstance: it's on 4/4/4 (2004) that I saw the schematism of the date April 4, 1944, given by Jung in Memories, Dreams, Reflections.
  So I considered the idea of a movie beginning on 4/4/2004, but could't imagine it could exist, yet...

  This 11/11, I see a new series on my streaming site, The Long Road Home. I try it and here's the first image: 
  This is the French version, I suppose the original one has got April 4 2004.
  The series depicts a real incident in Sadr City. The first two episodes issued on Nov 7, and the second one also begins with a legend April 4 2004. The series has 8 episodes, and I guess most of them will have the same beginning. The comments on IMDb don't seem enthusiastic.

  Actually something important happened on 4/4/44, at least for Romanians, with a bombing of Bucharest which killed some 3000 people. You Tube offers a clip about it, beginning with this image:


  What about the 4/4/2024? Wait and see.

  There was too an unique event on 4/4/1964, a Saturday where issued the weekly  US Billboard.
  That 4/4 the Fab Four held the top five places on the Billboard. That was the only time such a thing ever occurred.

  I notice the first episode of  The Long Road Home was available in France on 11/11, another double date as 4/4. This page collects many coincidences about 11-11, which has inspired at least 2 movies, 11:11, and 11-11-11.

----
  After the sensible comment by William Gibbs, I'll add that I'm very attentive to all April 4's I encounter in my readings or viewings, since I realized how 4/4/44 was a signifiant day in Jung's life. I haven't seen any other videos beginning on 4/4's, and these three ones concern years 1964-1984-2004, and in each case the date appears on the screen.
  The timing of my viewings has to be analyzed. I saw 1984 in 2009, and then reported its 4/4 on my French blog. It's just in last July that an article in a French paper mentioned Melville's movie began on a 4/4, with another coincidence: Melville went to Delon's home to ask him to be the main character of his film; Delon agreed and enquired about the movie's title; when Melville told him The Samurai, Delon took him to his room and shew him samurai's swords on the wall.

  There is a novel beginning on a 4/4, The Decorator by Boris Akunin, and it was too a huge coincidence depicted on this set of posts, about novels covering a Holy Week.

  There is a movie where action lies on an unique day, 4/4, but of two different years, Timeline (2003) by Richard Donner. It has been found by accident a device that sends people exactly 600 years before, then a squad is sent to rescue someone who is trapped on 4/4/1357. It's not clear if we start from 1957, and if April 4 of 1357 is a Gregorian date, or rather a Julian date, as Gregorian calendar did not exist yet.
  Assuming 4/4/1357 is a Julian date, it's bewildering this was the Tuesday of the Holy Week, and that it falls exactly 532 years before the 4/4/1889 where begins the Decorator, which is too a Julian date. 532 years is the cycle on which same Easter dates come back in the Julian calendar.
  I pointed in the same set of posts that 4/4/44 was Tuesday of the Holy Week in the Gregorian calendar, and that it could have an unique link with the original Week of the Passion.

2 comments:

  1. No matter how uncanny co -incidents appear to be the facts of the matter are often that many coincidences are simply coincidences. (Similarly a cigar is often just a cigar and not a symbol for a penis). What differentiates a run of coincidences like your 4:4s and 11:11s is the special meaning you attribute to the coincidences in question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. William you seem more sure my coincidences are mere coincidences than I'm they could be more-than-coincidences, to speak like Robert Graves.
      You're right for these one, and I added some precisions on the post, yet my relation to the 4/4/44 is based on a really extaordinary event related in the first posts of the blog.
      I went to your site and read a bit of it. My English is not good enough to discuss it, but I feel too that Jung's argumentation about synchronicity is quite weak

      Delete